G3 SLTE provides reduced cost of ownership, enhanced performance
and greater flexibilityMORRISTOWN, NJ - November 2, 2005 --
Tyco Telecommunications, a business unit of Tyco Electronics, recently introduced its breakthrough next generation of Submarine Line Terminating Equipment (SLTE). Named G3 SLTE (third generation of 10 Gb/s product), it is unlike its predecessors, which were targeted mainly at the long-haul submarine cable networks market. The G3 SLTE is an innovative design that provides cost effective solutions for all undersea market segments such as:
• New emerging long haul systems
• New regional systems
• Existing systems seeking upgrade capacity
• Non-repeatered networks
• Off-shore oil and gas industry
• Science applications
According to Dr. Seymour Shapiro, chief technology officer, Tyco Telecommunications, the product’s superior performance is a result of Tyco Telecommunications’ long history and knowledge of undersea systems. He said, “Using our detailed knowledge of new and legacy undersea cable systems we created an innovative product that allows plug and play operation for all applications. The dynamic adjustment available in the G3 SLTE product allows us to meet the needs of the market with a flexible, cost effective platform.” In general, this platform enables a significant reduction in the total cost of ownership including initial capital investment, as well as reduced operating costs.
Tyco Telecommunication’s G3 SLTE lowers the total cost of ownership in four important ways:
• G3 SLTE enables significantly lower capital expense because of lower cost per wavelength.
• G3 SLTE has higher packaging density which reduces the footprint by a factor of four over the previous generation.
• The improvement in transmission performance of the G3 SLTE enables greater repeater spacing, thus lowering the number of required undersea repeaters and reducing overall system costs. The improved performance also increases repeaterless reach, enabling longer spans to be installed at lower cost.
• G3 SLTE reduces power consumption by at least a factor of two, significantly reducing system operating expenses. G3 SLTE requires only 50W per full-duplex wavelength.
Implementation of G3 SLTE is tailored to customer requirements, enabled by a variety of client-side interfaces and integrated line monitoring equipment. With G3 SLTE, undersea line monitoring equipment is a card plug-in instead of a separate rack of equipment. Performance of the undersea cable and repeaters is monitored via optical loopback. A single platform Element Management System provides complete visibility into all undersea equipment for performance and alarm management.
While Tyco Telecommunications’ G3 SLTE is scheduled for availability by the end of 2005, multiple upgrade contracts have already been secured and product manufacture for these installations is underway.
About Tyco Telecommunications
Tyco Telecommunications, a business unit of Tyco Electronics, is the industry pioneer in undersea communications technology and marine services. Drawing on its heritage of technical innovation and industry recognized performance, the company delivers the most reliable, high-quality solutions to organizations with undersea communications needs vital to their core mission. Based in Morristown, NJ, Tyco Telecommunications is dedicated to providing organizations around the world with total solutions and support for undersea optical systems.
For more information visit www.tycotelecom.com.