photograph

Press Releases

Commencement of Main Lay Construction Keeps System On-Track for End of December 2008 Completion

REYKJAVIK, ICELAND and MORRISTOWN, NJ - October 1, 2008 --

The Icelandic submarine cable operator E-Farice, together with its supplier, Tyco Telecommunications, a business unit of Tyco Electronics and an industry pioneer in undersea communications technology and marine services, today announced the start of the Iceland segment of the DANICE submarine cable system.  With the completion of the Denmark shore-end lay installation at Blaabjerg in Denmark late August, the system is quickly approaching its planned completion at the end of December 2008.
The subsea DANICE Cable System is 2,300 km in length and will provide robust, high-bandwidth connectivity to the fast growing Icelandic market and at the same time provide the country with fully redundant connectivity.
“The DANICE system will provide us with a fully redundant connection to Europe, together with our current FARICE-1 cable system,” said Gudmundur Gunnarsson, CEO of E-Farice. “Iceland is becoming a popular location for Data Centers, thanks to our low priced energy and other factors, and DANICE is the link needed to have Data Center operators starting their services to corporations worldwide.  More importantly, we are keeping to our plan to have the system up and running by the end of December of 2008, a significant achievement for any major infrastructure project.  We are confident this Tyco Telecommunications-built, state-of-the-art system will provide Iceland with the reliable, flexible communications capabilities its users demand.”
“The completed system will not only bring affordable communication to residents, but will also boost our Data Center service capabilities. By significantly increasing bandwidth and the reliability of connections, users will have speed and access at their fingertips like never before. It is a real win for our existing and future customers.”
The DANICE system will be comprised of a four-fiber pair submarine cable between Iceland and Denmark, with a design capacity of 5.1 Terabits.  The initial capacity will be 100 Gigabits.  The system’s use of dense wavelength division multiplexing (DWDM) technology will support the transmission of 128 10-Gigabit wavelengths on each fiber pair.
“Each portion of this system is comprised of the newest, most advanced generation of highly efficient subsea equipment,” explains Rob Munier, managing director for global solutions at Tyco Telecommunications. “The completed system will provide the region with an essential advancement in communications technology.”

About E-Farice
The owners of E-Farice are the three largest power utilities in Iceland, the Icelandic State and the two largest telecom operators in the country.  E-Farice owns 80% of the FARICE-1 cable system, commissioned in 2003, connecting Iceland and The Faroe Islands to the UK, while the remaining 20% are owned by Faroese parties.
For more information visit www.farice.is
About Tyco Telecommunications
Tyco Telecommunications, a business unit of Tyco Electronics, is an industry pioneer in undersea communications technology and marine services. The company is a turnkey supplier of undersea telecommunications systems and operates a fleet of modern vessels and ROVs serving the undersea cable and offshore markets around the world. Based in Morristown, NJ, Tyco Telecommunications is dedicated to providing total solutions and support for the construction and maintenance of undersea systems. For more information, visit www.tycotelecom.com.

Contacts:

Gudmundur Gunnarsson
Managing Director/CEO
Farice.
+354 585 9701
gg@farice.is

Victoria Dillon
Tyco Telecommunications
+1 978 442 5304
dillonv@tycoelectronics.com


 


TE SubCom | 250 Industrial Way West, Eatontown, NJ 07724 | Phone: +1 732.578.7000 | Sitemap | Contact Us
© 2015 TE Connectivity Ltd. family of companies. All Rights Reserved